Résultats des Campagnes MUSORSTOM
Volume 21Coordonné par
Date de publication / Date of publication : 30 novembre 2000
The Résultats des Campagnes MUSORSTOM is an ongoing series on the deep-sea fauna of the tropical Indo-Pacific. Initially focused on the New Caledonian region, the series has now expanded to cover other South Pacific islands and island groups, in particular Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Fiji and the Marquesas. MUSORSTOM, which depends on an international network of collaburating taxonomists, is currently the most ambitious program of deep-sea zoological exploration.
The present volume includes contributions by nineteen authors from Australia, China, Israel, Japan, Russia, USA and Europe, and deals with Hexactinella sponges (2 papers), cirriped and decapod crustaceans (6), pycnogonids (1), comatulid echinoderms (1), ascidians (1), macrourid fishes (1) and flatfishes (1).
The results present new data on the morphology, systematics and distribution of 246 species. One order, one new subfamily, nine new genera and 87 new species are described.
Amongst the contributions, two are of particular interest.
The first is a study of the balanomorph barnacles of the superfamilies Chionelasmatoidea and Pachylasmatoidea collected in the waters of New Caledonia, Vanuatu and the Wallis and Futuna Islands. Of the 21 species collected, 18 are new to science and 2 are recognized as relictual. The number of new pachylasmatines described represents 46% of the known species and that of the new hexelasmatines 40%; hence our general knowledge of these groups is considerably improved. WaII structure, endemism and species diversity, significance of antenniformy, reproductive state and regression or loss of the penis are discussed.
The second is a complete revision of a family of crabs, the Palicidae, which was previously rather neglected by taxonomists and ecologists, despite their sometimes frequent occurrence in certain marine environments. The evolution and biological significance of the reduced Iast pair of pereopods of most species pose difficult problems, and the taxonomy of the family and its position within the Brachyura had received little attention. In a paper of 169 pages, a complete taxonomic revision and a biogeographical review of this family are given. As a result, 43 species are recognized, 17 of which are described as new, and 9 species are synonymized. The feeding habits, locomotion, reproduction and larval development of palicids - which were practically unknown before - are briefly considered.
The MUSORSTOM series is a joint program of the Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle and the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD).
SOMMAIRE / CONTENTS
[Résumé / Abstract]
1. La campagne MUSORSTOM 10 dans l'archipel des îles Fidji. Compte
rendu et liste des stations
Bertrand RICHER DE FORGES, Peter NEWELL, Monika SCHLACHER-HOENLINGER, Thomas SCHLACHER, Dako NATING, Frédéric CÉSA & Philippe BOUCHET
2. La campagne BORDAU 1 sur la ride de Lau (îles Fidji). Compte rendu et liste des stations
Bertrand RICHER DE FORGES, Philippe BOUCHET, Benoît DAYRAT, Anders WARÉN & Jean-Sébastien PHILIPPE
3. Porifera Hexactinellida: On Euryplegma auriculare Schulze, 1886, and formation of a new order
Konstantin R. TABACHNICK & Henry M. REISWIG
4. Porifera Hexactinellida: Amphidiscophora off New Caledonia
Konstantin R. TABACHNICK & Claude LÉVI
5. Crustacea Cirripedia Thoracica: Chionelasmatoidea and Pachylasmatoidea (Balanomorpha) of New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Wallis and Futuna Islands, with a review of all currently assigned taxa
Diana S. JONES
6. Crustacea Decapoda: A revision of the family Polychelidae
Bella S. GALIL
7. Crustacea Decapoda: Porcellanopagurus Filhol and SolitariopagurusTürkay (Paguridae), from New Caledonian area, Vanuatu and the Marquesas: new records, new species
Patsy A. MCLAUGHLIN
8. Crustacea Decapoda: Species of the genera Crosnierita Macpherson, 1998, Munida Leach, 1820, and Paramunida Baba, 1998 (Galatheidae) collected during the MUSORSTOM 9 cruise to the Marquesas Islands
9. Crustacea Decapoda: New species and new records of Ethusinae (Dorippidae) from Vanuatu
10. Crustacea Decapoda: A revision of the Indo-West Pacific species of the family Palicidae (Brachyura)
11. Pycnogonida: Pycnogonids from the MUSORSTOM cruises to the South Pacific
Roger N. BAMBER
12. Echinodermata Crinoidea: Comatulid Crinoids of the KARUBAR Expedition to Indonesia. The families Comasteridae, Asterometridae, Calometridae and Thalassometridae
Charles G. MESSING, Nadia AMÉZIANE & Marc ELEAUME
13. Ascidiacea: Plurellidae collected in the Pacific Ocean by the cruises MUSORSTOM, KARUBAR and the Coral Reef Research Foundation
Françoise MONNIOT & Claude MONNIOT
14. Pisces Gadiformes: Grenadier Fishes of the New Caledonian region, Southwest Pacific Ocean. Taxonomy and distribution with ecological notes
Nigel R. MERRETT & Tomio IWAMOTO
15. Pisces Pleuronectiformes: Flatfishes from New Caledonia and adjacent waters. - Genus Arnoglossus
Kunio AMAOKA & Eiji MIHARA
2000, 813 pp., ISBN 2-85653-526-7, ISSN 1243-4442 / 600 FF TTC ; 91,47 TTC
Mémoires du Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle, tome 184
Crosnier, A. (ed.), 2000. Résultats des campagnes MUSORSTOM, volume 21. Mém. Mus. natn. Hist nat., 184: 1-813.